For All Your Real Estate Needs!
Navigation Menu+

Are you familiar with the latest $150 Fire Prevention Fee in CA?

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 by in Active Rain | 0 comments

Are you familiar with the latest $150 Fire Prevention Fee that home owners will be assessed in CA?

Did you know that effective August 13th you might be receiving a $150 Fire Prevention Fee in your mail box? Owners of California real property located in a state fire responsibility area &  wild land fire zone (“SRA”) that have been assessed a fee of $150.00 per habitable structure . You should expect to receive a bill from the Board of Equalization (BOE) before the end of this year.

Southern California Realtor Endre Barath

Governor Brown of California signed AB 29 of the First Extraordinary Session (“ABX1 29”) into law on July 7, 2011. ABX1 29 imposes a $150.00 annual fire prevention fee for each habitable structure for property owners in State Responsible Areas (SRA). SRA lands cover about 31 million acres in 56 counties, and include an estimated 1.1 million to 1.5 million individual parcels, and approximately 800,000 habitable structures.

 Public Resources Code Section 4210 provides a legislative finding and declaration that the presence of structures within SRA can pose an increased risk of fire ignition and an increased potential for fire damage within the state’s wild lands and watersheds and that the costs of fire prevention activities should be borne by the owners of these structures.

los angeles real estate endre barath

The Board of Equalization (BOE) is required to annually assess and collect the fee from property owners on behalf of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CDF) in accordance with the Fee Collection Procedures Law. CDF is responsible for providing the BOE with a list of property owners who are liable for the fire prevention fee and the amount to be assessed.

Vacant Land in Hollywood Hills

For additional information about this issue please click on the enclosed link

On a side note if you are considering selling a property which falls into the SRA I would think you might want to disclose this annual fee so the buyer does not get surprised. My understanding is that there are some Natural Hazard Disclosure companies that add this disclosure into their packages. My advice is make sure it is in there!


If you are a consumer who is considering buying or selling a home, investment real estate, vacation homes, or beach properties in Southern California, Los Angeles, Century City, Westwood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Culver City, Playa Vista, Marina Del Rey, Venice or Malibu. Feel Free to give me a call at 310.486.1002 or email me at or visit one of my websites at Your Pet Friendly Realtor. I contribute a portion of my commission to Local Animal Rescue Organizations


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *